23rd April 2018, 12:14 | womens_rugby_league

Tigers off the mark in style

Tigers off the mark in style

Women's Rugby League round-up.

Castleford Tigers marked the start of their 2018 Women's Super League season with an eye-catching 62-0 win over York City Knights on Sunday.

England international Katie Hepworth led the way with a 26-point haul as she went over for two tries and kicked nine goals.

Former Thatto Heath Crusaders back Tara Stanley also ran in a brace alongside a double for Grace Field.

Tries from Alex Wallace, Kirsty Higo, Emma Lumley, Olivia Grace and Georgie Hetherington added further tries for the Tigers, who led 30-0 at half time.

Elsewhere in the Women's Super League, Faye Gaskin scored her second-successive hat-trick as St Helens continued their fine start to the season with a 42-4 demolition of defending champions Bradford Bulls at Odsal.

Though Leah Jones bagged an early try for the Bulls, the Gaskin-inspired Saints were dominant throughout as they stormed to a second-successive win in 2018.

Gaskin opened the scoring before Chantelle Crowl added another, Gaskin with both goals to make it 12-0.

Jones did hit back for the home side, but Gaskin, who ended the game with four goals, and Crowl got over again to make it 22-4 to Saints at half time.

Roxy Mura and Charlotte Hill went in after the break, before Gaskin completed her hat-trick and Katie-May Williams dashed in late on to round off the scoring.

In the Championship, Widnes Vikings put up a brave effort in defeat at home to Barrow - the Cumbrians claiming a 30-14 win on the road as Michelle Larkin led the way with a hat-trick for the visitors, who led 12-10 at half time.

Also in the second tier, Oulton Raidettes picked up a 26-24 home win over Leigh Miners Rangers in an entertaining clash, while Wakefield Trinity made light work of Wigan St Pats on the road, winning 42-0.

And in Championship 1, Hull Wyke were 32-10 winners at home to Brighouse Rangers, while Super League's Featherstone Rovers filled their bye week with a 28-16 friendly win at East Leeds.