16th September 2017, 17:40 | Widnes

Widnes end London's hopes of Super League promotion

Widnes end London's hopes of Super League promotion

Widnes Vikings 38-16 London Broncos

Widnes Vikings gave their Betfred Super League survival hopes a massive boost with a straightforward 38-16 victory over London Broncos.

Vikings hooker Lloyd White grabbed a 10-point haul and Danny Craven and Joe Mellor both touched down twice as Widnes had too much power for their visitors.

London deservedly went ahead through Mark Ioane but Widnes looked to reply immediately and Ryan Ince went close but he bounced the ball over the line.

The tide turned against London soon after William Barthou and White swapped blows. Matt Whitley got the score Widnes were desperately after as he sprinted in from a Mellor pass.

White then scooted over before Mellor delivered a lovely ball to Craven who finished off well for another Vikings try.

London shot themselves in the foot after 34 minutes as Matty Gee took the law into his own hands and cleaned out Welsh international White before being sent to the sin bin.

Widnes made hay and capped off their half in style, running in another try in the closing seconds of the 40 minutes as they kept the ball alive, playing hot potato rugby league until Charly Runciman barged over.

When Tom Gilmore sent in Craven for his second soon after the break, it was about how many more scores Widnes would plunder.

Jarrod Sammut got one back for the visitors to make it 26-12 with 25 minutes to play but London had little left.

Mellor was next to cross on his 150th Widnes appearance. Things got easier for the Vikings when James Cunningham was binned after referee James Child had put the Broncos on a team warning.

Kieran Dixon grabbed a consolation as London finished with a flurry but Mellor had the final say with a last-minute try.

Widnes head coach Denis Betts said: "We scored some good tries and put in some solid defensive efforts.

"We knew they liked to play and they had some dangerous players, but we felt we had control of the first half. We built some pressure and maintained field position and we built up a strong lead."

London boss Andrew Henderson said: "If we were to beat a Super League team away we had to be a lot better than we were.

"We didn’t tick any boxes and got what we deserved. We still have one game to go and we need to keep going and not go soft."