7th August 2017, 17:51 | championship

Kingstone Press League 1 Super 8s & Shield: round 2 wrap-up

Kingstone Press League 1 Super 8s & Shield: round 2 wrap-up

Toronto back to winning ways and Hunslet move three points clear in the shield

Toronto Wolfpack got back to winning ways with a convincing 68-0 victory away at Workington Town.

The Wolfpack lost their first League game to York City Knights in League 1 Super 8s round 1, but showed no signs of slipping up against Workington.

Blake Wallace scored four tries for the Wolfpack, with Jonny Pownall and Craig Hall scoring two each.

Toronto’s 68th point against Workington brought up their 1000th league point of the season.

The result leaves Toronto three points clear of Barrow and Whitehaven at the top of the League 1 Super 8s.

Barrow kept on the heels of Toronto with a 14-10 victory over Doncaster RLFC.

The Dons took a six-point lead in the seventh minute through Jack Miller’s try. Barrow replied after 30 minutes as Jamie Dallimore went over and the teams entered the break level at six apiece.

Dallimore kicked two early second-half penalties to give the Raiders a four-point lead before Brett Carter touched down to make it an eight-point game.

Doncaster gave themselves a lifeline when Jack Miller scored in the 70th minute, but the Dons couldn’t capitalise and Barrow held on to take the two points.

York City Knights couldn’t build on a huge victory over Toronto, falling to Keighley 22-20 in a tight affair.

The first half set the tone for the game, as both teams registered two tries apiece.

York were first to strike, with tries from Kieren Moran and Joe Batchelor giving the Kneets a 10-0 lead.

Keighley replied just before half-time. Andy Gabriel’s two tries made the score 10-10 as the teams headed in for the break.

York again took the lead through Tommy Saxton, but the Cougars responded as Vinny Finnigan’s try was converted by Matty Beharrell to give Keighley a two-point advantage.

Keighley’s lead was short-lived, as James Haynes’ try was converted by Connor Robinson to give York a 20-16 lead with 20 minutes remaining.

York looked like they were about to make it two out of two in the Super 8s, but James Feather crossed with two minutes remaining to give Beharrell the chance to win the game for Keighley, which he consequently did.

The result means Keighley leapfrog Newcastle into sixth.

Whitehaven were convincing in their 27-6 victory over Newcastle Thunder.

Haven went in at the break with an 18-0 lead through tries from Dion Aiye, Elliott Miller and Jessie Joe Parker. Paul Crook converted all three tries.

Dion Aiye added two more tries in the second half to complete his hat-trick and confirm the victory for Whitehaven. Evan Simons scored a consolation for the Thunder, who slipped to their second 2017 Super 8s defeat.

In the League 1 Shield Super 8s, University of Gloucestershire All Golds defeated North Wales Crusaders 40-22 on Saturday.

All Golds took a slim 18-12 lead into the break through tries from Phil Cowburn, Kadeem Williams and Harry Kidd.

Gloucestershire carried on the pressure in the second 40, registering three more tries to grab their first win of the Super 8s.

Coventry Bears earned a slim 29-26 win over Hemel Stags on Sunday.

The Bears were in control at the break, taking a 22-10 lead into the second 40.

Coventry got the first try of the second half when Hayden Freeman crossed in the 50th minute.

The Stags tried to mount a late comeback with three late tries, but Coventry held on to deny Hemel a second 2017 Super 8s win.

Hunslet came out 36-10 winners away at Oxford on Sunday.

Oxford kept on the heels of Hunslet in the first 40, and trailed 18-10 as the teams took a break.

Hunslet stepped it up in the second half, registering 18 points and keeping Oxford from scoring.

The win means Hunslet move three points clear at the top of League 1 Shield.